This video lesson describes what to think about when you have a wedge in your hand and you are trying to hit it over water. A lot of times players will chunk the ball when they are faced with this situation.
Common Reasons for Chunking the Ball:
- Too much weight shift
- Hitting fat behind the ball.
- Trying to hit the ball too hard
- Decelerating at impact
HOW TO STOP CHUNKING THE BALL OVER WATER
When you have a wedge shot over water, use these simple tips to land safely on the green.
- Put the ball in the center of your stance
- At address put 60% of your weight on your forward foot
- Keep your head centered over the ball
- Minimize your weight shift and down and through the ball
Next time you are faced with a wedge over water, remember to put around 60% of your weight on your front foot, keep your head very steady and, without transferring your weight, hit down and accelerate through impact and you should be able to get that ball over the water no problem.
Kathy Nyman is an LPGA Class A Teaching Professional and U.S. Kids Certified Instructor at Deercreek Country Club in Jacksonville, Florida.