by Tony Jesselli
If we had any doubts that the 2015 LPGA season could ever match the excitement of 2014, those doubts no longer exist. Once again this weekend we had an extraordinary finish. This time it was a 3 way playoff that included two 2015 rookies, Sei Young Kim (pictured), and Ariya Jutanugarn.
1. Hyo-Joo Kim – The cream of the crop. If she doesn’t win the top rookie award it will be because she chose to play a number of tournaments in Asia, and her LPGA appearances were limited. She has won 8 times on the KLPGA tour. This 19 year old is already ranked #7 in the Rolex Rankings. She received her LPGA card when she won the Evian Championship last year.
2. Ha Na Jang – She has won 6 times on the KLPGA tour, and at the age of 22 is ready to make some big noise on the world’s biggest tour. In her first event as an LPGA member, she finished in 2nd place last week at the Coates Championship. She is currently ranked #19 in the world rankings.
6. Charley Hull – Will make her debut as an LPGA member next week in Australia. Already a winner on the LET (and took top rookie honors), this 18 year old future star is set to make a big splash on the LPGA tour. As a non LPGA member, she finished 7th at last year’s Kraft Nabisco Championship. She is currently ranked #39 in the world.
8. Alison Lee – She doesn’t have the experience of the players above, but she has an abundance of talent. One of only two Americans on this list, she finished 13th last week at the Coates Championship. She was also the co-winner of the Q-School tournament.
10. Cheyenne Woods – I don’t think she is of the caliber of the players listed ahead of her, but she does have an LET victory on her resume.